Friday 2 September 2016

4 Films Based on Jane Austen Novels

I'm a massive fan of Jane Austen and love seeing her storylines being reused in pop culture. Here are a few examples I love!

1. Clueless: Emma


I was very late to the party on this one. I’d been meaning to watch this film for ages as people around me, both online and IRL, kept banging on about it. Seeing as I had some spare time this summer, I downloaded it and fell in love straight away - getting ridiculously excited once I realised it was basically a modern day Emma. The makers of this film understood Emma so well; the characters, their feelings, their story arcs, everything. Seeing as Emma is my second favourite Austen novel, I think I’ll be watching this one over and over again.


Credit


2. Bridget Jones’s Diary: Pride and Prejudice


Everyone has heard of Bridget Jones. She’s loved by many, not excluding myself. You simply can’t not love Bridget. It is also well known that Helen Fielding strongly based Bridget’s story on that of Elizabeth Bennet’s. I have to say that I love both versions of Mr Darcy and Elizabeth and Bridget are both top characters in my eyes. I’ve seen the film so many times but have never actually read the book. I need to get round to it!

3. Bridget Jones’s Diary: The Edge of Reason: Persuasion


Just once Bridget gets her man she loses him again, just like Anne Elliot, and must persuade him to take her back. Still with the same lovable characters, it’s another film you can’t help but love. I just can’t get enough of Bridget and I’ll be sure to see the new film when it comes out!

4. Austenland


I’ve watched Austenland for years. It’s a suitably silly film perfect for a Janeite on a rainy or sick day. The story intwines the stories of many of Austen’s novels. Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park… There are elements of all of them in there somewhere. A hilarious watch for any Austen lover. 


Credit





If you liked this post you might like: 5 Fab Jane Austen Quotes

No comments

Post a Comment