Friday 11 December 2015

5 Fab Jane Austen Quotes

As you may or may not know, I am a huge fan of Jane Austen. She is one of my favourite writers, and I love the stories she tells and how they still reflect human and societal behaviour today. I love the way she uses language and her words simply enthral me. Plus, Mr Darcy - how could I not love the person who created Mr Darcy? So, here are 5 of my favourite quotes from Jane Austen herself:

Picture found on


1. ‘Love is not love which alters when its alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove.’


What she’s saying here is that having a real love for somebody means that you accept their flaws and any changes they may go through. Accepting them for who they are is paramount. Love doesn’t alter after one small alteration in their character.

2. ‘If I loved you less I might be able to talk about it more.’


Oh, Knightley… He and Emma had been friends for years and he began to fall for her 4 years before her book was set. By the time he eventually told her of his feelings, his love had become so strong he felt he couldn’t express it into words. Pretty powerful stuff in my opinion. Some things don't need to be said.

3. ‘Friendship is certainly the finest balm for pangs of disappointed love.’


The ultimate back-up for the saying 'mates before dates'. Your friends should always stand by you when you are going through a heartbreak and you should never abandon your friends for anyone. Even though Austen used this line ironically in the context of Northanger Abbey.

4. ‘A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can.’


*Cough cough*…

5. ‘I must tell you how ardently I admire and love you.’


*Swoon*. I could have filled this post with Mr Darcy quotes, you should count yourself lucky this is the only one. One of my favourite Jane Austen scenes ever - possibly my favourite of them all. It’s so full of tension and misunderstanding and it completely flips the readers’ and Lizzy’s opinions on the characters in question. And Mr Darcy is just, yeah. My literary crush.




No comments

Post a Comment