Monday 6 November 2017

My First Thoughts on the Menstrual Cup | #ACupaDay

I did it! I used a menstrual cup and I’m proud of myself for taking the first step and actually doing it. Well, I used one for all of about 3 hours and that was about it for that period to last me ‘til the next one, and I’ll explain why. (Just to clarify, I’m writing this about 2 weeks after I first used my menstrual cup and I haven’t used it since because, well, my period finished so...).

Yes! I used a menstrual cup! Go me! (I also got one of my friends to buy so mwahaha the message is spreading.) Now onto how I actually found it.

On the first day of my period, I tried to use it but I couldn’t. I kept getting it half up there (sorry if this is a bit TMI but really, why are you reading this if you should really not care about that or you’re in for a shock) then losing grip and it springing open. Not quite how it’s meant to go. But I tried. I had a go and got our first encounter out of the way.

Three days later, I tried again. I read through the instructions and figured out the best way to insert it – basically, you can’t put a menstrual cup in the same way you would put a tampon in. It just doesn’t work like that. So, it was up. I was wearing a menstrual cup! And, I’d like to say thank you to my friends who received some excited snapchats from me in the half an hour that followed of, what was, essentially, me walking around repeating that I was wearing a menstrual cup. Sorry, guys...

I have to say I was very impressed by how little I felt it. It was honestly hardly there. I thought that I would be able to feel it, especially if I leant over to get something or did exercise – though I did manage a whole pilates class (oh, how middle class of me) with it in and not feeling it at all, genuinely.

It was great. I was in love. It was going so well. Then I had to take it out...

I tried to get it out for about 40 minutes, and failed. I thought I could just push the sides in and then it would just pop straight out. Nope. I repeat. NOPE. My advice to anyone: read the instructions before you start doing anything. Once I’d had a break and had a laugh with my family about the whole situation, I had another go, this time more relaxed and knowing actually how to remove the vacuum (pinch the bottom of the cup with two fingers) and I succeeded in removing it, at last!

Overall, my first impressions were great. It felt so easy when it was in, although I think that it’s what goes on either side of that that I need a bit of practice with. And I think that’s all that is needed until I am fully comfortable and happy with my cup. A bit of practice is all.

If you liked this post you might like: A Cup a Day Keeps the Tampon Away | New Series

No comments

Post a Comment