Friday 7 September 2018

July and August | Monthly Wrap Up

So I may have been a little late with my past few wrap ups – sorry! I hope this double whammy makes up even a little bit. It’s time for a long catch up!

Favourite part?


A lot has happened in the past few months. I’ve had several beach days, nights and out and meetups with friends, all of which were great!

I visited London in July to take part in the Anti-Trump Protest. I went with a group of people  I had never met before, but knew through my dad. We had a great day and it made me feel like a part of something.
One weekend, midway through July, my family and I went away for the weekend to celebrate my grandparents’ golden wedding anniversary. It was so nice to spend time with family, especially those we don’t see often.

Then, on 23rdJuly Lizzi and I started our trip to Paris. You can see full details of our trip in the post I wrote, but let’s just say that we had a great time dancing around Paris through the heat and alcohol and figuring out the metro.


Immediately after returning from Paris, my family and I headed back down to Wales, where we stayed with my grandparents for nearly 2 weeks. Initially, we had a very relaxed few days. We hardly did anything except lie around, play board games and read and boy, was it needed!

Throughout our time back in Pembrokeshire, we acted as proper tourists, going to Heatherton, Caldey Island, Skomer Island and Colby Wood Gardens (where they had a vegan board and muffins!!). 




A week after we came back home, it was results day. I’m glad to say it went well but I have to say the night before was perhaps the most stressful of my life. I hardly slept, but the rest of the day was worth it – including a celebratory Yo! Sushi and IKEA visit with my mum and a night out with what seemed to be the entire population of A Level students in Hampshire.

Since then, I’ve just been kind of pootling about, sorting out all my stuff. The weeks since have been wild. WILD I SAY!

Best read?


On the first of the month, I read Jo Cox: More in Common by her husband, Brendan Cox. I won’t lie and say that I didn’t shed a few tears whilst reading this – it’s somehow tragic and hopeful at the same time and I hope that the memory of Jo never fades. 

Next, I read On the Front Line with the Women Who Fight Back by Stacey Dooley. What is essentially a behind-the-scenes of her documentaries and account of her career, Dooley discusses what she has learned from her experiences and the variety of feminist issues across the globe which are often neglected and need to be tackled. I guess we’ll see some more of her on Strictly! 

I then read The Problem That Has No Name by Betty Friedan, one of the Penguin Modern Classic series and the first chapter of her famous Feminine Mystique. I have 4 more of those Classics to read and I am very excited to see what they’re like. 

Next was Frankenstein and the Birth of Science by Joel Levy. This was essentially the scientific history which inspired and led to the creation of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and consequently the science fiction genre as a whole. 

After that I read Atonement by Ian McEwan, the first novel I’d read in a while. I loved the film, so I was very excited to read this. I find it fascinating and would recommend it to everyone, particularly if you’re interested in narrative perspective.

Then, I read Connell Guide to Pride and Prejudice by Janet Todd over the course of a car journey and an hour or so lying in bed. I love anything to do with Jane Austen, and I always love finding out more people’s views and interpretations.

Almost French by Sarah Turnbull was next on my list. A memoir of an Australian journalist who moved to Paris after meeting Frederic, Turnbull discusses her experiences from the day she arrived to their wedding day, several years later. I have to say, this was a read that was partly (mostly) due to our visit to Paris and my not-so-subtle obsession with the city. Oops!

I then picked up Ongoingness: The End of a Diary by Sarah Manguso from the library where I work and read it within a day. It was fascinating and I could really understand and empathise with Maguso’s struggles and attachments to her diary, even though I myself haven’t ever held one more for more than a couple of weeks. 

I started reading A Literature of Their Own by Elaine Showalter in July, but it’s taken me a while to properly get into it. As much as I find the subject matter fascinating, the formality of the language does mean it has taken me a bit longer to get through than some of the others in this section.

Favourite tunes?


Does it get boring if I keep saying ABBA? Even if it’s true. 

Carla Bruni has also made an appearance a few times, in addition to the Ratatouille soundtrack – I’d like to thank Past Drunk Lizzi and I for that last one. The rats will most definitely kick your ass. 

Photo credit

Favourite watch?


Boy, I’ve watched a few tear-jerkers these past couple of months (mostly in August though, to be fair). Mamma Mia 2 has been a staple for both July and august (I saw it the day it came out). I cried a lot both times and oh my god do I want Young Donna’s wardrobe!


I also watched Goodbye, Christopher Robin with my family and we were all in floods by the ends. My face was actually puffy. I also watched To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, which I loved – I love any good romcom and this was definitely up there. I need to get around to reading the books but knowing my TBR list, it’ll probably happen in a few years’ time. I had another cinema trip towards the end of the month, this time to see Incredibles 2 at last! I enjoyed it a lot particularly the feminist themes and Jack-Jack’s powers, although I think I prefer the first one.

Series wise, I’ve rewatched Series 4-6 of (new) Doctor Who and love that era. It’s just increased my excitement for the new series which is released next month! 

Throughout these two months, my family and I have watched Mark Kermode’s Secrets of Cinema, which was right up my alley. As you’ll know if you’ve read any past blog posts in this series, I love watching video essays on books and film and this was simply a longer version of the YouTube videos I have watched. We loved it!

The past few days, I’ve started rewatching Merlin as it’s been put back on Netflix!
I’m really looking forward to the next few months of TV, with Bake Off and Upstart Crow back as well as Strictly and Doctor Who starting at the end of September. Autumn TV has BEGUNNNNN!!!

What did I learn?


I feel like I’ve had to re-examine how I measure my own self-worth in August. Results day, although a great day overall for me, was still trying and (excuse the cliché) made me realise a little more that I am separate from my grades. 

Also, more normal things like how to use a washing machine. Thanks mum!

What’s happening next month?


This is the big one. I’m moving to uni. It’s finally happening. Everything I’ve worked towards is now less than a month away. For the time being I’ve got a few weeks until I go, leaving plenty of time for goodbyes as everyone else goes away before I do.

What’s been on my mind?


I’m not really sure, to be honest. Uni, my friends… Desperately trying to find things to occupy my mind with whilst I have hardly anything to do. To do lists and chores are the way to prevent yourself from going out of your mind. Oh, how this has made me fear being unemployed.

Favourite blogger/vlogger?


I’ve honestly not been reading many blogs lately. I’ve watched a few uni advice videos on YouTube from a variety of different channels. I do have to recommend a couple of my friends: Amy and Amanda, both of whom have uploaded some wonderful videos lately. Please go and support them!

Favourite post?


I have been terrible with my blog posts lately. Hence the combination of months in this wrap up. My favourite would probably have to be the one discussing my Paris trip at the end of July (again, you can read it here).

My results day post was also a big one for me, as it allowed me to air my feelings and thoughts and process them in a more productive manner.  It helped me a lot, and I hope it'll help others.


Biggest inspiration?


I’m gonna be cheesy, but stick with it… Seeing all my friends succeed. I am one proud girl.

Any other favourites? 


I’ve been revamping my wardrobe a lot over the past couple of months. And, wow, I feel so good for it. Having donated a load of my old clothes, I’ve had the space to be able to get a few new items from Depop, including a some tops (one of which you can see in an upcoming OOTD blog post) and a pair of dunagrees I’ve practically been living in!


If you liked this post you might like: June 2018 | Monthly Wrap Up

No comments

Post a Comment