Monday 12 October 2015

That Time I Turned 16

So, as some of you are aware, it was my birthday on Saturday. I turned 16, an age that many people put a lot of pressure on. 

One of the first things someone said to me was “How does it feel to be 16?”. I, of course, answered how I would always answer such a question: “Just like I did yesterday.” For that’s what we really celebrate when we have our birthdays: an extra day of living. One second I was 15, then the next I was an entire year older, apparently capable of more in many people’s eyes.

16 has always seemed like such a “grown-up” age to me. Many Disney princesses are 16, many characters from YA books are 16, many characters from films are 16, and that made me, as a little girl, view the age of 16 as much more mature and adult than I feel now.

At the moment I don’t feel adult or grown-up in any way in the slightest. I am willing myself not to grow up as I don’t want to - I want to stay young and responsibility free, but I know that can never be the case unless time suddenly stops and we all stop ageing for the rest of eternity. 

But, even though I still want to remain a little kid forever, I did enjoy my birthday. I enjoyed it a great deal. 

My grandparents had been down the week prior and they stayed until 10am, in order to wish me happy birthday and see me as I opened their presents - something I really loved as we don’t get to see them as much as did before our move.

That afternoon, my mum and I went to Winchester to do some browsing in the shops. Despite having lived relatively near the city for little over a year, I had not set foot into the Winchester city itself (something many of my friends kept urging me to do, seeing as it is - and I quote - a very “Jemima” place). 


Needless to say they were correct in assuming I would love it as the whole place filled me with an excited buzz I rarely get. The high street was gorgeous, new shops housed in old (and very cute!) buildings, mixed with independent shops all different kinds. There was a market on, which naturally brought a variety of different sellers, products and people. It’s fair to say it enthralled me. Each little avenue, coffee shop and stall. And there was even a place that sold scones with clotted cream and jam - my favourite!



In the evening, me, my family and some of our family friends went out to a local Indian restaurant where we were stuffed silly with plenty of curry, onion bhajis and papadums!

Thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday and to everyone who made it an absolutely fantastic day!

No comments

Post a Comment