Monday 21 September 2015

How Blogging has Affected my Writing

Since starting my blog in May I have written nearly 50 posts on topics that vary widely. I have written about happiness, self love, events in my life, books that I enjoy and, possibly my favourite thing in the world: writing. That’s what blogging is essentially all about, isn’t it? Writing.

Of course, I did write a lot before I started blogging. I have done basically since I could. But blogging has started me writing in a different way to normal.

Instead of sticking to narratives and individual stories only, I have expanded to another realm of the craft. I now write about actual events that have occurred in my life – whether it is something like watching an emotional film about one of my biggest writing inspirations or going on a trek in order to complete my bronze D of E award. I can now write about my opinions in a way that I know other people will hear (more like read!) them. I can try to help others by writing about my own experiences and reach out to a wider audience.

Blogging has improved my writing and my mind because it forces me to be creative and think outside of the box on a regular basis – particularly because I have a weekly schedule to stick to. It makes me think about a lot of things in more depth, and I love that.

But blogging has had some negative effects on my writing. Take what I said about blogging and narratives; they’re very different styles of writing. I have said many times just how much I love to create different stories and characters – and I feel that one story and a few characters in particular have suffered since I started to blog.

I have been writing a novel for over six months now and I add to it whenever I can (particularly when there is something else that needs to be done!). I adore my characters and truly wish to give them as much attention as I absolutely can, but given the amount of time I am in school, completing schoolwork at home, sorting out my room, practicing my violin and doing extra things outside of school, they have had to take the back seat multiple times. And that’s without publishing three blog posts each week thrown into the mix.

I’m not complaining. I love blogging – I really do; it has given me the chance to speak to some great people and reach out to people all across the globe. But I’m convinced that blogging has prevented the word count on my novel from growing as much as it should have done.


The only thing I wish for is more hours in the day. More hours in which I could just write. To give my characters the tie they deserve.




-----------------------------

Are you a writer and a blogger? How do you think your righting has been effected by blogging? I would love to know (Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this!).

Jemima x





No comments

Post a Comment