Friday 5 June 2015

5 Reasons to Love Train Journeys

      I adore train journeys, you may think I'm a bit of a weirdo, but it's the truth. I thought that I would share some of the reasons why, and maybe you can learn to love them too!


      1. They're relaxing.


Whether it is a short, one stop trip or a 5-hour journey across the country, I will love every second of it. There’s something about simply being on a train that I find oddly relaxing. It’s a different world in there, almost disconnected from the outside civilisations. It’s so easy just to lie back and enjoy the ride – your mind blank, free of work and deadlines, even if it’s only for a few minutes. This one usually applies to longer journeys, whereas short commutes in busy cities such as London may not be as relaxing – in fact they may seem like the exact opposite to you. However, as I am not a regular visiter to London and have mainly used trains that travel in the countryside, this has not been such a problem for me. Although for those of you who generally travel in big cities, try and relax on there; it’ll do you the world of good.

2. It's a great time to do work.


Well, okay, maybe you don’t have to relax all the time, and you’re not going to be work-free constantly. Time on the train can turn out to be amazingly productive. I know of some people who have written books on trains – they put in the hard work then that ended up kick starting their careers.
     However long your train journey, this is a great time for you to get something done. The train provides you with a great opportunity to get on with things – it could be anything from writing a CV to some revision for an upcoming exam. It’s time that is just hanging about not doing anything; you may as well use it well.

3. It’s the perfect place for people watching.


Who doesn’t love a bit of people watching? And where is better to do it than somewhere with a variety of people coming and going almost continuously? It’s always fun sitting in a chair and watching as unique people go about their unique lives. On the train you can catch glimpses of celebrities, hear a family’s loving farewell to a child going on a trip - families in general just being ridiculously loud and hilarious – you can see people just like you taking in their surroundings, there’ll be the group of little old ladies or teenage girls in the corner nattering about something that is probably completely inconsequential. There are people travelling alone or in massive packs, some whose destinations are far off when others’ are just the next stop.

4. They give you time to just think.


When I go on the train, I never usually takes long before I have gone into a daze. My eyes go out of focus and my legs curl up underneath me – a comfortable position for me but many others may think that I look a bit odd. I go into a daydream. A haze, if you like. For me, that's a place where anything can come into my mind and will get thought over thoroughly, even if it really doesn't matter at all.

 5. They show off the country at its best.


As I have grown up on small, one-carriage country trains and rarely ever go through the city, I have always linked trains and the countryside in my mind. A lot of tracks go through some really gorgeous scenery and (I don’t know if this is true for countries besides the UK) I truly believe that they are the best way to see the country at its best.

So what're you waiting for? Go hop on a train and enjoy the ride!


No comments

Post a Comment